The lecture will highlight six challenges which urgently need to be addressed by the Judiciary in the interests of maintaining a fair, cost-effective and efficient court system into the future. The six challenges to be considered are:-
- The need to deal with a systemic shortage of judges.
- The need to implement systems of electronic litigation.
- The need to assess the strengths and weaknesses of CJR over the last five years.
- The need to implement Criminal Justice Reform.
- The need to implement systematic programmes of continuing education and training for judges.
- The need to plan for the infrastructure (court buildings, equipment, human resources) which will be required for the proper administration of justice in the next decade.